Saturday, April 7, 2007

What Can We Do about the High Cost of Gasoline?

The price of gasoline is going up higher and higher every day. It is taking a larger bite out of our budget. Some folks have to make serious compromises with their food and healthcare budgets just to keep on driving that car/SUV/Old Jalopy!

Is there relief in sight?

All signs indicate that there is none.

The best we can do is to cut down on our driving, try to combine chores so that we make fewer trips and generally be very conscious of every mile we drive so that we do not waste gas.

Even when all of these steps are taken, there is still that sticker shock when we see the pump showing astronomical numbers when we fill up. Companies like ExxonMobil are making sinful profits and some of their CEO's are taking half a BILLION dollars in paychecks while rest of us average Joe's are suffering! This is an economic calamity that is hitting every pocketbook!

When I got exasperated with this and talked to my mechanic Bob about this, he suggested something that sounded almost like an old wives' tale!

He suggested that I put 6 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank every time I filled the tank. he said that it would give me better gas mileage and help the engine run smoother and extend its life.

Being a skeptic about such claims, I took his advice with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, I decided to try it. The worst that can happen, I figured, would be a few dollars down the drain; on the other hand, if it works, it may be good for my car and my wallet, too!

Now, at this point, I must put a disclaimer. I have no financial connection whatsoever with Marvel Mystery oil, nor do I own any stock in this company or have a gainful employment with them. Neither does anyone in my family.

After I put the first 6 ounces in the tank when I filled up, I forgot all about it until I went for another fill-up. Being a finicky record keeper, I keep a meticulous record of the miles I get per tankful of gas on all of my 4 cars. At the time of fill-up, I noticed that my car got 60 extra miles for the tank of gas. I thought that my driving habits got better, there was less head wind, I probably inflated the tires just right, etc. etc. I figured another tankful would even the things out. But next tankful gave me similar results. Then I tried it in my other cars, one after another.
The results were the same - an average of 60 to 65 extra miles for the tankful. The cars seemed to run a lot smoother, too! I picked up a couple of quart bottles at Advance Auto Parts at less than $4 each!

Things were getting interesting! For about 65 cents worth of Marvel Mystery oil, I was getting 60 to 65 extra miles. You just couldn't beat that!

Being a Physicist, I had to know the reason why this was happening. So I started digging deeper to understand this. What I found out made a lot of sense.

Inside a car engine, a tight-fitting piston moves inside the cylinder. This piston has 3 sets of compression rings that prevent the combustion gases from escaping into the crankcase ( the tank that holds the engine oil). During the movement of the piston, the area of the cylinder near the top, between the top and bottom rings, does not get much lubrication. This causes friction, and therefore loss of energy. Translated, it means that we waste gas. Apparently, the Marvel Mystery Oil lubricates this portion of the cylinder, reducing the friction. This means that there is less wastage of gas, therefore better mileage! It also cleans the valve seats, reducing carbon build-up, and improves the compression in the cylinders, therefore helping burn the gas more efficiently.

When I admitted my skepticism and eventual acceptance of this additive to Bob, my mechanic (who also happens to be my friend), he just shrugged his shoulders and said that I should trust his judgment!

Ever since, I have been preaching the virtues to Marvel Mystery Oil to everybody I know, and they are getting similar results.

I felt I should share this experience with my friends on this blogosphere, with the hope that they can benefit from this and save money in this brutal gasoline warfare.

I found out something more about this company that makes it. This product has been on the market since 1923 - that is 84 years! - and THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING!

That says something about good old American ingenuity!

P.S. Some additional information:

All 4 cars were fuel injected, however the information on the bottle says that it works equally well with carbureted engines, too.

All 4 cars had high mileage, from 75,000 to 130,000 miles.

The information on the bottle gives specifics regarding warranties.
________________________________________________________________

RESPONSE TO COMMENTS POSTED HERE:


Thank you, folks, for your comments!

Joe, I would like to mention something regarding the 4 cars I have. When there are four drivers in the family, all four going in different directions on different schedules, and long distances, there is little choice I have! To make the best of situation, I try to save my money by using Marvel. It has worked very well for me, and saved quite a few bucks.

Chris, Marvel can be used in crank case as well, which I occasionally do to clean the crank case, crankshaft bearings etc. and to open the oil passages that seem to get clogged with gunk. It also helps quieting the rocker arms and lifters. I do not know about the compatibility of Marvel with synthetics, because I do not use synthetics in my cars. However, I will give you a link that you can go to, to find answer to this and other questions that you and others here may have regarding Marvel. I can only talk about my own experience.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

One interesting thing I found out from this website is the guy who invented Marvel Mystery Oil was the one who invented Marvel carburetor which was used in a majority of cars in the post WWI era!

nascarbum, I would like to reiterate my disclaimer. I have no connection whatsoever with Marvel, neither does anyone in my family. I do not accept payments from companies to promote their products. This gives me the freedom to speak my mind and be objective about what I say and write.

Jim, I appreciate your comment. I cannot ask you to believe in anything. That is your choice. However, if you want to benefit from my experience, you are welcome to do it. That was the sole purpose of this blog. I hate to pay those outrageous prices for gas, and I believe a majority of people do, too!

Manoli, Because I do not own a diesel vehicle, I cannot say. However, if you follow the link above, you may find that information.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

richnauer, dan, kevin and frank, I took the same attitude the first time I used Marvel. It worked for me, and I hope it works for you, too.

roger, I have not seen any fouled plugs in my cars. I believe the fuel injection system and computer management of the gas and air mixture, combined with very precise control of ignition timing may all have worked together to prevent it.

I like your idea of buying ExxonMobil stock. With the money I am saving, I may be able to afford a few shares!

Andy's idea of riding a bike is really good. It can help both ways, and will also make us feel a lot better about ourselves!

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts here.

-Searchbeam.

15 comments:

Joe said...

Hey buddy, you want to save on gas, try not owning 4 cars. That's a start; then talk to me about putting Magic Mystery Oil in my gas tank.

Unknown said...

Is Marvel Mystery Oil OK for synthetic oils, ie, Mobile 1? Another solution is to by a Harley and get around 50mpg.

Big Mac said...

The year before Marvel Mystery Oil appeared, a fellow named Dusenberg built a car that got 50 miles to a gallon on a 12 cylinder engine. John D Rockefeller bought the patent on Dusenberg's carbeurator and we haven't seen it since.

iphone said...

Ford has been losing money for years, they should be bankrupt, how is it they are surviving? They are getting paid off by the oil companies, that is it. "you keep you cars gas mileage low, and will give you kickbacks!!" They love it. Every car my father drives in europe gets at least 40 miles a gallon. Even his new 2007 ford ranger get 41 miles a gallon!!! Of course its only a 6 banger with 147 horespower but it works just fine.

Unknown said...

I don't believe it! There has been countless tests made by all kinds of organizations- some being consumer related- and it has never been found that any kind of gasoline additive has given more gas mileage. And besides if it really worked, EVERYONE would know about it and EVERYONE would be using it; it would be in the news, on tv, etc. BLAH!

manoli said...

Would this product work with a diesel powered car like a Mercedes diesel???

richnauer said...

For 4 dollars a can this is a win win
situation. Even if it doesn't deliver
how can you lose (financially) by trying it out. When you think of all the thousand of things each and every
one of us waste our money on annually
this is really a no brainer. I'm going to try it if; it doesn't work no big deal. If it does I'll gain approx 4 gal of gas mileage per fillup.

Unknown said...

Just like the rest of the comments so far, this one too is a negitive. The profits that the oil companies make are not sinful, unless, you should not be paid for your work too. I don't like the high price either, but for now I have no choice. I am happy you found something that works for you, as I have access to a different product that does the same.

Dan said...

Hey, it cannot hurt to try!

Re: the 'Dusenberg carburetor patent myth': Patents are not lock-solid; if one does not market a patented product, it is open season for anyone to market it. Furthermore, if such a carburetor existed, don't you think the Japanese would employ it? Or LG, of Korea, a company that is notorious for iinfringing on other company's patents? Get real, Big Mac!

And owning four cars somehow uses more gasoline than owning one? Does the author of the article drive them all four at once? Use your head, Joe.

Unknown said...

Some People Missed The Point(s)...
Joe just likes striking out at somoene possibly trying to help; Chris asked for advise, then suggests the guy change his lifestyle to motorcycles. Hmm, ok, not bad. Big Mac simply brought up a popular conspiracy theory point, well documented I might add; IPhone missed the fact that the same car in Eu isn't required to have all the smog devices and so can run easier / get higher gas mileage; Jim and Joe possibly know each other, while James misses the point that taking a surreal bonus (half a million a billion, either way) is probably criminal in the face of the common American - who also works hard - is having to buckle down to make it financially; and Dan also misses the point: there are those out there who help you or try to, those out there who give care less about you, and further still - those out there that simply use you for profit because you're there....
I'm tried some gas additive that worked not quite as well as Marvel, and for a couple dollars it may just be worth the added money. Thinking possibly further though, if it breaks even now and yet enlongates my car engine's life, well, that's quite a benefit, eh? AND if it doesn't work, all you nay-sayers, then all I disposed of is a few dollars and a little time.
My best to those that try to better themselves and others.....

Roger said...

Those of us raised in the 1950s used Marvel Oil all the time! Puting oil in your gas will increase the functionality of your engine, but will also foul your spark plugs a lot faster. It doesn't matter what type of oil you have in your car, the Mystery Oil is going in the gas tank, not the crankcase.

Roger said...

If you are sick and tired of the gas prices then by some stock in oil companies! My Exon stock gives back dividends almost equal to what I spend in gas every year, and continues to go up in price! You don't have to be a slave to the oil companies, use them to your advantage!

Andy said...

There is an even older way of oil and gas conservation... Ride a bike!!! It would also take care of an even bigger problem in America and other high polluting countries. It puts a little fitness into fat behind of the people who are destroying this planet's natural beauty. When's the last time you had a nice smell of a fresh Spring morning? You can't. It's covered by the smell of exaust

Anonymous said...

Marvel Mystery Oil is a good oil for lubing small parts, etc. The real mystery here is how gullible you are.

Lay off the conspiracy theories, secret carburetors and all that other BS.

Frank said...

The subject of the post is about how much a diffrence marvel mystery oil has on the MILAGE he gets on the car he tested with.Owning multiple cars dosent equate to poor gas milage joe.You missed the point.